Ankara, Oct 18 (IANS) A Turkish daily reported on Thursday that one of the suspects involved in the disappearance of Saudi Arabian journalist Jamal Khashoggi was killed in a "suspicious car accident" in Riyadh while investigators here expanded their probe in the case to include at least two wooded areas outside Istanbul.
Mashal Saad al-Bostani, a 31-year-old lieutenant of the Saudi Royal Air Force, was among the 15 suspects who arrived and left Turkey on October 2 after going to Saudi Arabia's Istanbul consulate where Khashoggi was last seen, Hurriyet Daily News quoted the Turkish newspaper Yeni Safak as saying in the report.
The newspaper said sources did not release any details about the traffic accident in Riyadh and Bostani's role in the "murder" was not yet clear.
Hurriyet Daily News has also claimed that Saudi Arabia's Istanbul Consul General Mohammad al-Otaibi could be "the next execution" as Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman "would do anything to get rid of evidence".
Yeni Safak had reported on Wednesday that Al-Otaibi's voice could be heard in one of the recordings, which Turkish authorities believed to be of Khashoggi's "interrogation" at the consulate.
Al-Otaibi returned to Saudi Arabia on Tuesday before his residence in Istanbul was searched by the police on Wednesday and Thursday.
Turkey has not formally released any evidence to support claims that a team of Saudi agents killed Khashoggi.
According to the Turkish media, the police will begin reviewing security footage from the entrances to Istanbul's Belgrad Forest and also expect to search farmland in Yalova province.
A Turkish official said that investigators had broadened their search for Khashoggi's body to "gardens" around the Istanbul area.
One of the vans carrying some members of the Saudi "hit squad" was reportedly filmed in Yalova's Termal district on the day of Khashoggi's disappearance.
Turkish Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul in an interview to state-run Anadolu Agency said that the case was being "thoroughly" investigated and "results were expected to come out soon".
In his last column for the Washington Post, Khashoggi said: "Arab governments have been given free rein to continue silencing the media at an increasing rate."
"The Arab world is facing its own version of an Iron Curtain, imposed not by external actors but through domestic forces vying for power," he added.
Meanwhile, French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire and UK's International Trade Secretary Liam Fox cancelled their plan to attend an upcoming business conference in Saudi Arabia amid allegations the country was behind the apparent killing.
The Dutch Finance Minister as well as several other politicians and business leaders also announced pulling out of the event.
Over the past week, many corporates and media houses have announced their decision to shun the Saudi tech summit. Bloomberg, CNN, CNBC and the Financial Times have withdrawn themselves for attending the forum.
Google Cloud CEO Diane Greene, Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi, former AOL CEO and venture capitalist Steve Case, J.P. Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon, Ford Chairman Bill Ford, and Google Android creator Andy Rubin also withdrew.
Turkey has claimed it is in possession of audio and video evidence that Khashoggi was murdered in the consulate building, but Saudi Arabia has vehemently denied it.
US President Donald Trump urged the Turkish government to share the recording. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo later visited Saudi Arabia and then Turkey to discuss the case. But, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said that Pompeo did not listen to any audio recording while he was in Ankara.
Meanwhile, another Turkish daily, Sabah, on Thursday released stills from security camera footage of another suspect -- 47-year-old Maher Abdulaziz M. Mutreb, an intelligence officer who previously served in Saudi Arabia's London Embassy.
The New York Times had reported that Mutreb had travelled extensively with the Crown Prince, perhaps as a bodyguard.
New Delhi, Oct 18 (IANS) The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday served a show-cause notice on news broadcaster NDTV for allegedly flouting foreign exchange regulations in availing of overseas and foreign direct investment facilities of over Rs 4,300 crore.
In a statement, the financial probe agency said: "The investigation showed FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act) contraventions relating to receipt of foreign direct investment by NDTV to the extent of Rs 1,637 crore and the other relating to overseas investments to the tune of RS 2,732 crore."
The show-cause notice, issued under the FEMA, was issued to the founders and executive co-chairpersons of the group -- Prannoy Roy and Radhika Roy, journalist Vikram Chandra and a few others.
THe ED also issued notice to Harpreet Singh Duggal of NGEN Media Services Pvt. Ltd, Anshuman Misra of Turner General Entertainment Networks India Pvt Ltd, Sameer Chandran Nair, who was earlier Director in NDTV Imagine Pictures Ltd and Alliance Lumiere Ltd, Grant Scott Ferguson of South Asia Creative Assets Ltd.
The financial probe agency said: "The investigation revealed that NDTV received FDI of Rs 725 crore and that only CCEA (Cabinet Commiittee on Economic Affairs) was competent to permit FDI in excess of Rs 600 crore."
"In the case of NDTV no CCEA approval was taken," it said, adding that the FDI was projected as below Rs 600 crore as part of "larger conspiracy".
"While applying for FIPB Foreign Investment Promotion Board) approval, NDTV projected FDI as varying between $130-160 million. Documents of FIPB section also projected FDI differently as Rs 585 crore ($130 million at Rs 45 per dollar).
"However, FDI finally received by NDTV was $163 million," it said.
The ED also said that there were offences to the tune of Rs 1,378 crore in respect of delays in reporting and filing information with RBI (Reserve Bank of India) such as Foreign Inward Remittance Certificate, FCGPR, FCTRS etc. and delays in allotment of shares.
"Delays were also recorded in reporting and filing information with RBI such as ODA form, annual performance report etc. to the tune of Rs 2,286 crore," it said.
It said that further, NDTV Imagine Ltd., then a subsidiary of NDTV Ltd. (now known as Turner General Entertainment Networks India Pvt. Ltd.), has also been charged with delays in filing and reporting information with RBI to the extent of Rs 853 crore.
NDTV Ltd's another subsidiary -- NGEN Media Services Pvt. Ltd., which has now been merged with Genpact India Ltd -- has also been charged with delays in reporting and filing information with RBI to the extent of Rs 30.48 crore.